Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Should I be flattered?

Or thoroughly creeped out? I'm leaning towards creeped out.

I received a message today from an MUA that I've worked with in the past. Sweet girl, real doll, and she was writing to let me know that she was excited that I was going to be meeting her friend...we'll call him 'M'. Well, I'm a P.I.M.P. so I start going through my mental catalog of guys trying to recall "M". Nope, definitely drawing a blank.

In an attempt to not come off like the playa I am, I ask her what "M" she's referring to. It's a generic name, I can get away with that, or at least I hope I can. She responds with a last name, and now I'm really drawing a blank. I mean, I'm awful with names, I really am, but this is getting absurd. I obviously don't know him in person, so he has to be from one of the dating sites I'm on...

Now I've got to get a little sheisty. Not full on sheist, but I need to find out more about this guy so I know where to look. I don't exactly feel like scouring through my messages trying to put a face to a profile picture, plus, I'm at dinner. But for the sake of my safety and sanity, I want to find out who the hell has tracked me down on FB and has messaged one of my friends. I mean, he's obviously talking about me, which is strange. You saw my profile on the internet. Are you also running a blog? Do you have more followers than me?

So I ask, "How did I come up?" and she confirms my suspicions. Mr. Creeper was on my FB page, which thankfully is mostly private. Turns out, he had searched me, and then recognized my friend as someone he used to go to school with. He friend requests her and then asks about me. Anyone else getting the creeper vibe yet?

I mean shit dude, I know I'm awesome, but you felt the need to FB stalk me and then ask a friend about what I'm like as a person? Did you think it wouldn't get back to me? Did you think it would be a funny story on a first date? What about when you accidentally mention knowing that I love Fight Club, you don't think I'm going to catch on and get a little concerned?

Okay, you know what, if we set up a date and you decided to friend request me on FB, no biggie. (although I usually leave that til after the first date, at least. My Facebook is a scary place of perverted comments and internet memes) Or you know, even before the first date, but you should probably know my first name before you start stalking me. Or wait for a response. Something. You know, a green light. A "hey, you're not a creeper, we can be friends" type of communicae.

From what my said friend, he had messaged her to ask about me, saying that he was going to be meeting me soon. Ah, our first clue. He believes he's going to be meeting me, and that leads me directly to Plenty of Fish which has this handy dandy feature called "Meet Me". It shows you a picture of the person, their name and age, and it asks if you'd like to meet them. For sane people, it's a quick way to browse locals, and if you think they're cool and cute, you can click "yes" and that lets them know that you're interested. For Mr. Creeper, it was literal. He thought we were going to meet up, just like that. So he stalked me, because that's logical...right?

Well, unfortunately for me, my friend gave him a raving review. That I'm fun, and funny, and optimistic (I almost spit out my beer at that point) and that I was overall a great girl. Which prompted a message from him, where he decided to lie, or at least I assume it's a lie since my friend has no clue I'm on dating sites, and has no reason to be less than honest. He tells me he was showing my picture to his friends (still creepy) and that his friend A (my friend) said she knew me so he asked what I was like. First off, even if you're not lying, why the heck are you showing my picture to people? Secondly, you're lying. Why are you lying?

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but wouldn't you be a little creeped out if some guy said he was showing your picture to friends. Maybe I'm jaded with this whole internet dating thing, but I wouldn't be showing off pictures without even meeting a person or at least conversing with them a bit. It's okay to get excited about dates, sometimes you just click with someone online and you can't wait to meet them because your expectations are high, but to not even talk to someone and be showing them off? It's a bit...worrisome. And socially awkward. And trust me, I'm the queen of socially awkward, and even I'm not that bad.

So this guy stalks my FB, writes to my friend, and then writes to me to tell me how excited he is to meet me, and to text him, and to keep him in touch, and that Oh. Em. Gee. I am so awesome.

Should I be flattered? Because I'm not.

I'm going to go double check my doors are locked.

No comments:

Post a Comment