Monday, December 12, 2011

A Social Experiment

From the beginning...

I've joined two sites. One on the serious side, eHarmony, and one that may possibly infect me with herpes for simply visiting, OkCupid.

First impressions:

eHarmony seems to be laid out well, and the guided communication is pretty spiffy for people like me who absolutely fail at communication. You know the type. "Do you have any pets?" "Yeah, I have a cat". "Oh, cool, I like cats". Awkward pause. Nothing is being said. Shit, where do I go from here? So the way E is set up is pretty spiffy...if I'm stuck about what to say, eHarmony has some ideas for me. I mean, it's kind of cheating, but that's okay...right? Plus, once the conversation gets started, I can take it from there as long as the person I'm talking to has similar interests.

Now on to OkCupid.

Okay, maybe I won't get herpes from simply going to the site, but viral gonorrhea is a distinct possibility. And sure, a week of antibiotics and I'll be clear, but the embarrassment will be too much to bear. What will my e-physician say?

OkCupid is a free for all. There's some decent guys, they're just hidden...you know, behind all the awful. I should play nicely. I don't know if most of the guys are awful, I'd just place a bet. A hefty bet. I may put my photo equipment on the line kind of bet.

But hey, I've got hope. I'm single, hope is what I need, so I'm stocking up and seeing where this takes me.

Hilarious messages on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment