I need to have a word with Mark Zuckerberg. I have a few bones to pick with him, we need to discuss this whole Facebook thing, perhaps show him the error of his internet tycoon ways.
Social Networking has fucked us over.
My business relies on social networking, I understand it, but when did it become acceptable to forego actual conversation and become Facebook friends instead? It’s not a substitute. I’m not just a profile picture and a few too many status updates. Believe it or not, I’m actually cooler than my Facebook would lead you to believe. Well, that’s probably not true, Facebook makes me out to be a pimp.
But really, what has social networking done to us? When is the last time you called someone to talk? Did you just send a Facebook message instead? Why is it easier for us to Vlog and post it on Youtube than talk face to face? I believe it was Slutever (Slutever.com) that asked the question...why is the easier conversation the one we have with everyone?
I can open up to the internet, but to anyone else, I’m petrified. As if the potential exposure the internet offers is less than that of a candid conversation on a couch. What am I so afraid of? Perhaps someone will find out how broken I am? I leave some mysteries to the internet.
Anyway, screw Facebook. It’s continued to break my heart, and now whenever I see it, all I see are failures. Dear boys I date, I don’t want to be your friend on Facebook. I don’t want you to see the song lyrics I post when you inevitably move on to someone else. And I don’t want to see your relationship status change when you do. And when you post pictures of you and your new girlfriend, who is inevitably prettier and wittier than I am, I’m going to be forced to remove you. I’m one resilient bitch, but even some things break my heart.
If you’re reading this, though I’m sure you’re not, I’m sorry I deleted you. I’m sorry that Facebook forced it by constantly marking you as one of my top friends even though I unsuscribed from your statuses. And I’m sorry I wasn’t strong enough to stay away from you page even though I knew seeing you tagged with your girlfriend constantly would break my heart.
And there I go again. Instead of that candid conversation on a couch, I’m writing it. Maybe because I know you won’t see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment